The first Jewish newspaper was issued on 1887 called Еврейский Вестник" (The Jewish Herald). Jewish media became much more active later, during the interwar period, when the liberal laws of independent Latvia gave opportunities for free press in Jewish languages. The regular Jewish journals and newspapers issued from1920-1940 are almost fully preserved and available for readers at the Latvian National Library and the Academic Library of the University of Latvia. Therefore, the museum mainly gathers provincial, non periodicals and single issue publications. The museum also has a small number of Jewish periodicals published abroad; mostly from Russia and Germany. Amongst the collection of the Jewish non-periodicals, there are calendars and almanacs, such as the almanacs of the Society of the Jewish Liberators of Latvia and the almanacs of Zionist organizations. The public finance reviews and newsletters of the Jewish societies are included in the collection. Significantly, there are the illegal “samizdat” (self-publishing) non periodicals issued during the soviet period and Jewish periodicals published during the restoration of independence. Since the restoration of independence there are non periodicals by Jewish congregations, societies and schools.