Jēkabpils
Jekabpils Jakobstadt   Distance from Riga 143 km (A6)    Jekabpils was merged with Krustpils in 1962. The Jewish community of Jēkabpils was registered in 1810. Its members were mostly descendants of Lithuanian Jews. A Beit Midrash, 3 synagogues, and several Jewish public organizations functioned in the town. A yeshiva was opened in ...

Jelgava
Jelgava Mitau   Distance from Riga 42 km (A8)   The 18th century was the time of the formation of the Jewish community in Jelgava. At the same period Jewish Street (Dobeles road at present) as a designated residential area, appeared on the map of the city. Most of the Jews came to Jelgava from ...

Jurmala
  Jurmala   Distance from Riga 25 km (A10)   The settlements on the sites of modern Jurmala already existed in 16th century. Schlok (Sloka) – the settlement of traders, started developing in the late 18th century, and by the mid-19th century the resorts of Kemmern (Kemeri) and Rigaer Strand were ...

Kandava
Kandava Kandau Distance from Riga 91 km (A10, P130) The local Jewish community was formed in the early 19th century. In 1863, the Jews made up 55% of the total population of Kandava. By 1881, the 775 Jews, who lived here, made up the majority of its population. During the WWI, in 1915, ...

Kraslava
  Kraslava Kreslawka, Kraslau Distance from Riga 265 km (A6)   The Jewish community of Kreslawka started forming in 1764. Until the late 18th century, all Latgale Jews were assigned to Kraslava kehilla (kahal). In 1897, the 4,051 Jews, who lived here, made up 51% of total population of the borough. ...

Back

|<   <<  1  2  3  4  5    >>  >|

Subscribe for news