Distance from Riga 91 km (A10, P130)
The local Jewish community was formed in the early 19th century. In 1863, the Jews made up 55% of the total population of Kandava. By 1881, the 775 Jews, who lived here, made up the majority of its population. During the WWI, in 1915, the Jews of Kandava were deported into the depth of Russian Empire. Those returned home found the Jewish communal buildings and privately owned houses destroyed. In 1935, the town Jewish community had 68 members.
In the early July 1941 Kandava was occupied by the Nazi troops. All the local Jews, who remained in the town, were executed in Elku woodlands in August 1941.
Synagogue, Lielā, 31. It was built in 1880 and reconstructed in 1937. Rabbi Menakhem Mendel Zak (1873–1941) served in this synagogue. He later became the Chief Rabbi of Riga and was killed in Rumbula in 1941. After the WWII, the building was used as a granary. It was converted into a cinema in the 1950s. The property is currently not in use.
Mikvah, Pils, 7. The mikvah was built in the late 19th century, using natural sources of spring water. After 1950, it was converted into a public bathhouse. The building at present ventures a guesthouse.
School, Tirgus laukums, 5.
Cemetery, 3 km mark from the town border on the Kandava–Sabile road, on the right hand side. It was built in 1840, and functioned until the beginning of the WWII. During the war and later, during the Soviet period, the cemetery was destroyed and has been neglected since. Only a few remaining headstones can still be seen.
Elku Woodlands, 10 km mark from the town border on the Kandava–Rūmene road. This is the place of the mass execution of the Jews of Kandava in August 1941. The site of the actual execution was marked after the WWII. The memorial stone was unveiled in 2006.