Distance from Riga 1115 km (P120, A10)
The Jewish community was formed in mid-19th century, when a synagogue, a private minyan, and a Beit Midrash started functioning. By 1881, the local Jewish community had 1,398 members, which made up 41% of the total population of the town. A private Cheder was the only place of education for the Jews in Talsi until 1905. Many Jewish children attended local German schools. A municipal Jewish primary school started functioning in 1920. In 1935, among permanent residents of Talsi, 499 were Jewish. Making up only 12% of the overall population, they owned 41% of all local businesses, mostly in the textile industry, jewelry and woodworking. All the Jewish religious and social life stopped in 1940, when Soviet period began. All privately owned businesses were nationalized and the wealthy Jewish families were deported to Siberia in mid-June 1941.
Talsi was occupied by the Nazi troops on the 1st of July 1941. All local Jews were ordered to gather in Beit Midrash. They were then transported to the artillery shooting grounds 12 km outside of the town, and killed. Only a few Jewish families returned to their home town after the war. About 10 Jews currently reside in Talsi.
Synagogue, Kalnu, 5. It was built around 1850, and underwent a reconstruction in 1937. After the WWII the synagogue was converted into a residential house.
Summer Synagogue, Kalnu, 5a. It was built in 1857 and was reconstructed in 1922. Since after the WWII the synagogue has been used as a residential house.
School, Kalnu, 7. It started functioning in 1920. After the Jewish school in Sabile was closed down in 1935, it became the only Jewish school in this part of Kurzeme. Currently, the building is being used as a residential house.
Cemetery, following K. Mīlenbaha St, after crossing the city limits, this cemetery will be 100m to your left. It was founded in mid-19th century, and was opened for burials until the WWII.
The Monument in Memory of the Victims of the Holocaust, situated in the forest near the Jewish cemetery. The memorial stone was unveiled to mark the spot, where the executed Jews of Talsi were re-buried.
Talsi Museum of Regional Studies, Mīlenbaha, 19. Some of the museum's exhibits tell of the history of Talsi Jewish community.