Distance from Riga 126 km (A10, P130)
The first records of the Jews in the town are dated in the early 19th century. The Chevra Kadisha was registered in Sabile in 1809. By 1891, the total population of the town reached 1,400 people, including 873 Jews. By that time 2 synagogues functioned in Sabile. By 1910, the Jewish community of Sabile had 700 members, which made up 43% of the overall population of the town. The local Jews were deported during the WWI, in 1915. Tragically, not all of them survived to come back. By 1935, the 280 Jews, who lived in the town, made up only 15% of its overall population. However, they owned a half of the local businesses.
When in 1940 Latvia fell into the hands of the Soviet Union, the Jewish social life in Sabile died out completely. Privately owned businesses were nationalized and later, in the mid- June 1941, the wealthy Jews were deported to Siberia.
The Nazi occupation of Sabile started on the 1st of July 1941. All Sabile Jews were forcibly brought to one of the local houses only to be later taken away and executed in the woodlands approximately 5 km away from the town.
Synagogue, Strauta, 4. It was built in 1875. During the Holocaust the synagogue was converted into a public bathhouse. The building ventured a sport school from 1950 until mid-1980s, when it was converted into a warehouse. It underwent reconstruction in 2001 and currently ventures Centre for Modern Art and Cultural Heritage.
Cemetery, Meža St, 300m to the left from the main road, nearby the area where TV spire is located. It was opened in 1809. Only several headstones can still be seen. A select few of these have engravings in German language on them.