Distance from Riga 143 km (A6)
The earliest written record of Kreuzburg is dated back to 1237. Krustpils ceased to exist as an autonomous town in 1962, when it became a part of Jekabpils. The local Jewish community, formed by the late 17th century, is one of the oldest in Latgale. A cemetery was opened in the 18th century. The 3,164 Jews, who lived here in 1897, made up 76% of the total population of the town. By 1935, the number of Jews lived in Krustpils decreased to 1,043 Jews and made up only 28,5% of its entire population. In total 5 synagogues and prayer houses functioned in the town during the 19th and the early 20th centuries.
Nazi troops occupied Krustpils on the 28th of June 1941. Mass arrests of the Jews began on the 6th of July 1941. At first, the arrested people were kept prisoner in the local slaughterhouse. Later they were transported to the buildings of the Jewish school and the sugar factory. Some of the Jews were sent to work on the neighbouring farms. During the late August and the early September 1941 all the Jews remained in the town were shot in Spungeni woodlands and at Kaķīši swamp near village of Spungeni.
Jewish School, Rīgas, 182. More than 150 pupils attended this secular Jewish school during the early 1930s.
Cemetery, Asote, Following the Rīgas St towards Daugavpils located 1,5 km past the town border. This is the only Jewish cemetery, which was opened in Latvia after the WWII. During the 1950s, the Old Jewish cemetery was closed down and the headstones were brought to the new one. The remains of the Jews from Krustpils and Gostiņi, executed in 1941, were re-buried here in 1958. The monument in their memory was unveiled here in 1959.
Spot of the Mass Execution of the Krustpils Jews, 142,3 km mark on the Riga-Daugavpils road. The memorial stone was placed on the site of the execution of the 25 Jewish residents of Krustpils in 2007.