Distance from Riga 265 km (A6)
The Jewish community of Kreslawka started forming in 1764. Until the late 18th century, all Latgale Jews were assigned to Kraslava kehilla (kahal). In 1897, the 4,051 Jews, who lived here, made up 51% of total population of the borough. By 1935, the Jewish community of Kraslava consisted of 1,444 members, which made up 34% of its overall population.
Moisei Rabinovich (1882–1941), the designer of Kraslava coat of arms, became the first Jewish Mayor of the town. Several synagogues and prayer houses, a Jewish primary school, and various Jewish public organizations functioned in town at that time.
When Kraslava fell into the hands of the Nazis in the early July 1941, a large group of Kraslava Jews were shot dead in the town. The remaining Jews were transported to Daugavpils ghetto, where the majority of them were exterminated.
Now just a few Jews reside in Kraslava.
The Big Prayer House, Skolas, 6. The original timber house was built here in 1781. It was subsequently replaced by the brick building, which currently is being used as a residential property.
Cemetery, end of Lielā St and Spīdolas St. The cemetery was built in the 18th century. Some headstones dated back in the 19th and early 20th century. The newer graves can also be seen. A monument in memory of the Jews of Kraslava perished on the fronts of the WWII is one of the landmarks of the cemetery.
The Monument in Memory of the Victims of the Holocaust, Lielā St, near the cemetery. It was unveiled in 2007.
Monument in Memory of the Victims of the Holocaust, Miesnieku, 8. It was unveiled in 2007.
The Memorial on the Spot of the Execution of Kraslava Jews, Avgustovka, the beginning of Ūdrišu St.
Kraslava Museum of History and Art, Pils, 8. A part of the exhibition tells the history of the local Jewish community.