Distance from Riga 301 km (A6, P61)
The Jewish community was formed here in the early 19th century, at which time a cemetery was also opened. The first reliable information about the number of Jews in the locality is dated back in 1847. The records state that 77 Jews lived in Dagda in that year. By 1897, the number of Jewish people in the town increased to 1,026, making up 68% of its total population. The statistics for 1935 showed, 589 Jewish residents in Dagda, which was equal to 53% of its overall population.
Dagda was occupied by the Nazi troops in the early July 1941. On the 25th of July 1941, a large group of Dagda Jews were forced to march to Daugavpils ghetto. The Jews, who remained in the town, were shot at the local Jewish cemetery on the 1st of August 1941.
Synagogues, Corner of Skolas St. and Rīgas St. The three synagogues, built in 1897, underwent reconstruction in 1920s. The buildings are currently being used as shops.
Cemetery, Pļavas, 6. It was opened in the early 19th century. The monument in memory of the victims of the Holocaust was unveiled here after the WWII.